Sunday, August 15, 2010

When Happy in life, you treat others better.

That sounds like a really obvious statement and it is. The challenge I am presenting is: Can you still treat others as well as they deserve when you are unhappy? See take my father for example, now in no way am I insinuating that my dad was a horrible father by any means, but especially during maybe my ages of 7-15, he was extremely short tempered, often crabby and at times just seemed annoyed by everyone. I just figured he didn't like us, after all, having twin boys must be hard, especially when one of them decides he is going to paint his nails and play with dolls and the dream of having your boys playing catch together in the yard fades away. He may not have liked that so much (by the way, my dad and my very gay brother are extremely close now, its weird. They are like serious drinking buddies and they talk way more than we do.) But then I think about it: My dad worked at a huge law firm in downtown Minneapolis, but he wasn't a lawyer. He was a tax accountant working in a shrinking division by the day. Imagine being the only non lawyer around a bunch of asshole lawyers all day long, probably assuming he was one until the conversation of where he went to law school came up. In fact, my dad doesn't even have a bachelor's degree, he has a 2 year paralegal degree from North Hennepin Community College. So I'm sure he felt out of place and was not treated well at this job. Fast Forward to 2002 and he was finally able to just Fuck you to those people and ended up starting his own business, hanging out with friends again and really enjoying his life. All of a sudden, he was like a different person, yes, that family temper is there every now and again but he is so much calmer, so much funnier. I guess my point is, it's a lot easier to treat others well when you're life is in order, but a lot of our lives are not. A lot of us struggle everyday, so challenge yourselves to still treat the ones you care about with respect dignity and love, even when your day sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment